Friday, October 29, 2010

Pumpkin Seeds

Fall is definitely my favorite season. The leaves turning, crisp air, good food, and football - what more could you ask for?! Ah yes pumpkins.. I love them. I love to paint them, look at them, and cook with them - pumpkin waffles, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin soup, pumpkin cake.. the list goes on.. but what I haven't done for so long is carve a pumpkin. This year I tried again!

Tony and I decided to carve pumpkins on a beautiful fall afternoon. He is such an artist and SO detail oriented, his pumpkin turned out AMAZING! Mine... is simple.. and took about half the time of his.

Gutting the pumpkin was definitely the worst part of the endeavor. It was extremely slimy, stringy, and overall rather revolting. For some reason, I decided it would be a good idea to separate the seeds and try roasting them. That changed my slimy hands and arms to slimy hands, arms, and fingernails.... gross. The seeds did turn out well though.


Pumpkin Seeds:
Begin by rinsing some of the slime off the seeds - keep some for flavor. Preeheat oven to 375.
Melt 2 tbs butter in large saucepan
Add seeds
Pour 1/4C Maple Syrup over seeds and sauté for several minutes
Add spices to taste: Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and ginger
Stir to evenly distribute

Spread seeds evenly on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15-25 minutes, rotating every so often. They should be light brown and crispy.

Enjoy! Happy Harvest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment