Monday, May 18, 2009

My life begins!

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. This is a disease of gluten-intolerance. People with Celiac are allergic to wheat, barley, and rye. The disease is digestive and consuming the protein gluten will damage the vili in the small intestine and interfere with absorption of nutrients. Gluten is found in foods; both breads as we'd expect as well as in sneaky places, as well as everyday things like medicines, vitamins and even lip balms and beauty products.

To be honest, the most difficult part of living gluten-free is ridding yourself of bad habits, and cake. I love cakes, cookies, mostly anything sweet! So I am on a quest to find good gluten-free food, and an enjoyable gluten-free lifestyle. It's all new for me. 

If you think you have Celiac Disease or want to know more, this is a great site:
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/

Thus, with a diagnosis, I'm on my way to being healthy again, and learning how to live without my usual sweet treats. This could get interesting... 

No comments:

Post a Comment